View Single Post

Old 05-31-2018, 03:16 PM

Liked 399 Times in 195 Posts

I use JP Enterprise case gauges after sizing Lake City 5.56 and 7.62 once fired brass. The diameter of these gauges is closer to minimum SAAMI dimensions. Meaning if the case fits in this gauge it will fit in any chamber.

As I stated in a previous post I just finished full length resizing 300 Lake City 7.62 once fired cases with a small base die. I then checked each case with the JP Enterprise case gauge and all the cases passed the plunk test.

The problem with once fired brass is after sizing the brass wants to "spring back" to its fired size. And if you pause for 4 to 5 seconds at the top of the ram stroke this greatly reduces brass spring back. And pausing will also make your shoulder location more uniform with normal reloads.

Below from left to right are a .223 Wilson and Dillon case gauge and on the far right is the JP Enterprise .223 gauge. And I reversed the cases to show how far the cases will drop into the gauge. And its clear to see the red JP Enterprise gauge is smaller in diameter.

Bottom line I lubed these once fired 7.62 cases with home made lube with lanolin and alcohol and had no problem sizing these cases. The cases were wet tumbled with SS media and any surface dirt and oxidation was removed.

And again if you have to use too much force sizing just use a 30-06 die or a carbide .45 acp die and they will size half of the case body. This will greatly reduce the sizing effort when you follow up with a normal .308 die. (double squeeze play)

I buy my once fired Lake City brass from brassbombers.com/ that has been cleaned and the primer pockets have been swaged.

.308/7.62 - Cleaned, Deprimed & Swaged - LC Only - 100 Pieces $20.00 free shipping
.308/7.62 Cleaned, Deprimed & Swaged Lake City Brass 100 Piece Sample

Last edited by bigedp51; 05-31-2018 at 03:20 PM.