View Single Post

Old 05-31-2018, 04:41 PM
US Veteran

Liked 23,729 Times in 6,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
That’s how I feel now. If I consider selling a gun my dad had for decades yet it doesn’t really have the sentimental value like some other ones, I don’t feel guilty about selling it anymore. Some stuff are cherished and full of memories, others are just dead weight to pack around through your life. A couple years ago I sold the Weatherby Mark V I bought my dad. He loved it but it just sat in the gun rack looking pretty. But now a guy with young sons in L.A. has it, shoots it, and it’s their family heirloom. Look at it like dog rescue. A dog is now loved, appreciated, and part of a new family. I know that Weatherby feels the same way. It took me a while, but I’m free of guilt trips. Lots of our guns and other stuff are recycled heirlooms that travel from one family to another. And sometimes there’s nothing wrong with that.
Excellent post and well stated. For me this issue has one more consideration to to deal with; All of my friends and family members that would have even the most remote interest in a gun are deceased or they are of the age/poor health w/no need or desire for another gun and have sold or are selling theirs.

I have 4 guns with sentimental value.

In order of their age they are:
1. My grandpa's S&W top break .38 circa 1885 (not in shape to be fired)
2. Webley MkI top break .455 circa 1941 Given to me by a dear friend. It shoots just fine.
3. My dad's Colt 1903 circa 1943 He carried in WWII. It's a shooter.
4. Ruger Blackhawk .38/.357mag. 1973. Given to me by my best friend in life. Another good shooter.

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with them. Miss Pam doesn't want to fool with them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Disc one 1620.jpg (149.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Disc one 2189.jpg (91.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Disc one 1623.jpg (163.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Disc one 433.jpg (113.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by walkin jack; 05-31-2018 at 04:43 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: