View Single Post

Old 06-01-2018, 01:24 PM

Liked 3,443 Times in 936 Posts

I have only one GP100 and it is a special fixed sighted model chambered in .38 Special. I have shot that gun a lot because I got it for $250 and it is a sturdy revolver. I am a reloader and have shot it with .38 Special +P+P+ loads but mostly with standard pressure 158 gr .38 Special reloads. All my pre-lock S&W revovlers and the GP100 have been worked over - and not just by changing a few springs; trigger weight does not depend on spring weight alone but also on drag.

When I compare the Ruger GP100 with one of my favorite S&W blasters, a S&W M-65, the M-65 displays a smoother double action pull. When I also shoot the GP100 very fast, using speedloaders and MTM speedloader boxes of 60 rounds, the gun fails to shoot in single action. I could never figure out why the single action sear failed but when the gun is cooled off, it works again.

I had an old Ruger Service Six that I reblued and have given to one of my sons and that SS had a slightly better action than the GP100.

The Korth and MR73 have a few features that Rugers and S&W revolvers don't have; they make trigger adjustment possibe from the outside, without removal of the side plate. Longevity of Korths and MR73 is legendary, lifes of 100,000 have been reported but it is also legendary simply because I am not aware of anybody having shot one out. Anyway, even for a reloader the cost of .357 Magnum ammo will be multiples of what a Korth costs before one can expect any issue with them.

I have a S&W 22A that has 110,000 rounds through it that needed severral repairs. I started shooting the gun when a 550 round brick was $7.97. Go figure out what you would spend for that ammo alone and the cost of a firearm is negligible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GP100 Nills.jpg (26.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg M65business.jpg (40.8 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Andyd; 06-01-2018 at 01:31 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: