View Single Post

Old 06-01-2018, 04:09 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,611 Times in 1,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg4360 View Post
For exactly what I said... if it were a hidden Playboy or some such It's no big deal. If it were sliver plate, coins or anything of value I'd be checking.

Imagine the S/N gets checked at some time in the future and it turns out it was reported stolen by one if his neighbors. That'd be a tough spot to be in.

As to the mention of the friend who had a firearm not returned; ANY property taken in would be documented and a receipt issued. If that didn't happen it was a shady PD to start with.
Not a tough spot at all, you simply say; "I found it in my attic, I'm more then glad to return the gun to the original owner."

I think one of the things that I object to regarding your advice is that it may be perfectly fine wherever you are, but it wouldn't be in many places. Maybe your local police would assume you were lying about finding the gun in your attic, but in my neck of the woods everyone would just laugh and be happy the gun could go back to the original owner, then gossip about who might have stolen it and when.

I have no idea where Morgrhim lives, and what he should do with the gun because of that.

Heck, if he's in California or New Jersey, or New York City... he is probably required to turn it in.

If he's in Montana like me he may want to mention it to his neighbors and ask if anyone recalls a gun going missing sometime before he bought the house.