View Single Post

Old 06-01-2018, 11:14 PM

Liked 7,729 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.b View Post
Hey, Phil...and Red!!

I know that this is a little off the track, but I found a really nice copy of Gaylord's "Handgunner's Guide", at a semi decent price, a first edition, second printing, still with the original dust jacket. It's on it's way, and has made it as far as Pittsburgh, according to USPS tracking!!

As you know, Phil, (I already have your book, and I'm waiting on "The Book", from Red), I have a small library of gun related books, and thought I would like to add this one.

You are responsible for me even knowing about Chic Gaylord, anlthough I seem to recall the name from back in the day.

I'll be sure to post a review when it comes in.

Best Regards, Les
It would be easy to write off Chic's now somewhat dated book as heavily biased towards his own products; if I hadn't had several experiences with trying to get other makers to provide product or pics for book (let's see, Blue Steel & Gunleather, two editions, for John; Holsters and Other Gunleather by Combs with Roger Combs reporting he got virtually no cooperation there; an early book effort of my own from the '90s; another effort in the first decade of this century). So I know that Chic simply used his own because he had them!

The Book has no industry-supplied images slated for it; it is entirely a citizen's effort and so is filled with most makers' products yet not supplied by them. The one maker who's not going to get much coverage with images is Sparks; of the 4,000 images that I have permission to use for The Book (only 400 or so will fit into it) I have just the tiniest handful of Sparks'. Not to worry, heaps of Nelson's own originals, who effectively was Sparks' designer of the latter's concealment products.

I was quite surprised to see Chic's singling out of Tom Threepersons' holster as one of the best designs he knew of, in 1960. Then equally surprised that he didn't understand the need for a thick welt inside to make one work (Chic did not use welts at all). Tom was still living at that time (d. 1969).