View Single Post

Old 06-03-2018, 12:34 AM

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

Really appreciating the ongoing input in this thread. Sorry I'm just getting back to get this post up. Well, it's time for me to eat crow. I WAS WRONG AND EVERYONE ELSE WAS IN THIS THREAD WAS RIGHT !!! There, I admit it lol. Let me elaborate. I took a friend along, about equal in shooting ability as myself. First I shot the five inch pistol 2.0. I shot 6 rounds per group. At 7 yards I centered the front dot at the top of the bulls eye - all 6 shots hit the bottom of the bulls eye. I repeated that group almost identical 3 times. I moved to about 12 yards out, and shot about a 3 inch group. They placed at 2 to 3 inches low, with only about an inch and a half variance in left to right. I moved out to 22 yards - (the range marks every five yards, but the place you shoot from is 2 yards from the first line starting the marks) I shot 5 and 6 inch groups at 22 yards. I had a couple of 4 inch groups - but was pretty consistent at 5 or 6. I did this about 12 times. (No I'm not proud of this grouping at all) However, my left and right shots placed within 3 to 4 inches each time. I'd guess 60 percent were a little left, and 40 percent a little right. I call this shooter error, and believe my sights are pretty spot on for left to right. However, I was still shooting low. So I shot the compact 2.0 (both in .40 cal)My shot placement with the compact were actually better. About the same in left to right as the five inch pistol, but I wasn't shooting it low. At all ranges I was shooting a consistent circle of a couple a little high, a couple left and right, and a couple low. All shots missing the bulls eye I attribute 100 percent to my shooting ability. Not satisfied with my performance on the five inch pistol, I returned to shooting that particular pistol. I bench rested the pistol on top my range bag. Not the best bench rest, but I was steadier for sure. This is where the truth came out. At 17 yards, I shot a three inch group, and then a two and a half inch group, again - 6 rounds per group. My left to right placement was within an inch. My up and down went from about an inch high to two inches low. I switched targets between those two groups. I went through 20 targets and 280 rounds today. Bench resting took a lot of the shooter error out of the equation. I had my friend shoot a couple of groups out of the pistol too. He shot a little low also, but not as much as myself. He had also never shot the pistol before. I'm 54 years old, and his vision is better than mine, but my glasses have an up to date prescription, so I'm not sure if vision is playing a role in this or not. I shot about an equal number of 165 and 180 grain bullets today. I couldn't tell a difference in where they were placing. They probably impact a little differently, but the shooter error part kept me from being able to tell. I walk away from today's shooting session pretty confident with the compact, and a little unsure about the five inch pistol. I do however believe the shooting low is 90 percent shooter error - and probably 100 percent. I just can't understand why I shoot the five inch pistol low and not the compact. I have been shooting the Glock 23 and 19 for a while, and possibly I'm more use to a compact grip ? I just don't know. It just seems bass ackwards to shoot a compact better than a full sized pistol. The last box of 50 rounds I rapid fired from the five inch pistol for fun - and boy was it. I shot at about 12 yards out. The target had already been used for a couple of groupings shots, but I believe I stayed in the ten ring for most of them, pulling the trigger as fast as I could - the five inch pistol fell back into place easy with minimal muzzle flip. God help me, I love shooting like that lol. It creates a love affair between pistol and shooter. I was pleased with the bench rest groupings - and yes I know it's not the greatest group ever recorded lol, but I'm convinced this pistol is just going to take more practice from me - the shooter. I can't swear the 5 inch pistol doesn't shoot a tad low, but certainly not as low as I had feared. I have never been so happy to eat crow and find error in my ability rather than a faulty pistol. I'm comfortable with the compact as my carry pistol. The 5 incher will take a little more work to feel good about it being the "main go to war pistol" so to speak. But I love that pistol. More rounds down range should be the answer for me. I'm happy with the left and right point of impact now - but I certainly have my work cut out for me on the shooting low aspect of it...but I feel confident it's me - not the pistol - which is bound to be fixable. Thank you all for your input. My level of frustration was off the charts. I still have a little, but am much more at ease after the bench rest groups I pulled out today. I will not complain of any sticks and stones ya'll may choose to cast upon me...I believe I have it coming lol.
The Following User Likes This Post: