Thread: 3.6" why?
View Single Post

Old 06-03-2018, 01:01 AM

Liked 65 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2944 View Post
^^^^^

Weight forward can reduce muzzle rise from recoil and get you back on target more quickly. The longer sight radius enhances precise aiming.

Shorter slides/barrels make you think you are more steady because the short sight radius doesn't give as much visual feedback of the movement that is occurring.
Even though I posted that I am in the short barrel/full frame group, I agree with this because it is true. Combat handguns sold to the military and police are usually of the full size variety, not only because of the capacity, but for the reasons in this post.

My experience with years of shooting traditional muzzle loaders applies: A long, heavy barrel out there will actually stabilize the aim by dampening the heartbeat and involuntary muscle movements. Important when you only have one shot. The same is true for handguns. I've yet to see a compact precision target pistol on the formal circuit, or maybe I've missed it...

My preference for snubbies is based mostly on a perceived quicker rotation from the holster - especially in a car, or other close quarters situation where a fast developing threat is within 5 feet and aiming may be secondary to initial suppression fire. This stuff happens. It can happen while you're pumping gas, or in the checkout line, or stopped in your car, etc.

To that end, most of my practice is based upon that scenario with the balance just for plinking and grins. I have the Shield 9 and I have the 2.0C 4" with the latter for home defense and pure shooting enjoyment at the range.

So, to me, the 3.6" barrel is almost like splitting hairs between the two, but to someone who does not currently own either, the 3.6 would be a great choice.