View Single Post

Old 06-03-2018, 03:11 PM

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

I hear ya Jnichols2. I've read many of threads claiming it was the gun too. I really didn't want to be "that" guy claiming his sights were off either - but I was so convinced they were - and they indeed were from left to right, but the shooting low was my main focus - figuring out to move the rear sights was a no brainer just by looking at them...How dare I think I was above improper grip or whatever I'm doing wrong. I kind of feel some shame over all this - I've been humbled. Those bench rest groups really put me in my place. I'm going to go out again today and try another 100 rounds or so. I'm not sure this is a good idea, but I'm going to try shooting with my front sight dot centered just above the two rear dot sights. I'm not sure shooting with an incorrect sight picture is the smart way to solve the problem - but I'm thinking this whole fiasco may work out to my advantage. S&W uses the combat sight hold picture-cover the target - but I actually prefer the 6 o'clock hold. Looking thru the sight picture last night, I found I could still see most of my target if the front dot covered it instead of having the front, and rear sight blades obscuring it. It also seems like the bullet impact might be where I want it with that aim/sight picture too. I'm really not sure this is a good idea, but I think I'll give it a whirl. Common sense says to learn to shoot the pistol properly with the sight picture intended to be used with the pistol. Shooting from the bench rest really opened my eyes as to how poorly I was controlling my muzzle. But proving it was indeed me - the shooter - as the problem by bench resting, my frustration level has gone way down. It's not a fluke bad barrel or something like that. I can go out today and shoot and enjoy the pistol more. Knowing the problem is half the battle - I can now shoot it and get a ton of enjoyment correcting the problem, and doing what I like to do. I also realized yesterday I much prefer shooting outdoors over an official range. Sure it's air conditioned, but I have some pretty nice scenery where I go, and just like being able to drink a cold water, sit and rest between mags if I want - just generally enjoy being outside. The indoor range is alright. I think I've just grown accustomed to my routine outdoors. Pulling a switch to bring my target back to me at a range is easy, but zero exercise lol. I think I'll be shooting paper targets instead of steel for a while too out there. Looking forward to the sunset and tan later today. : )