View Single Post

Old 06-03-2018, 06:05 PM

Liked 6,021 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
It was my first semi auto cartridge and I had an inordinate amount of trouble, some with the guns, some with picking a bullet that had strict and unusual requirements on OAL. It took a while but I perfected the process. I've had to tap the slide back several times, and I always feel uneasy that the gun will be damaged but so far so good.

Two I've had to return to the factory. A Ket tec where the spring jumped the track. A call to Keltec and the guy said that some guns did that, and they sent it back fixed. I also had a Shield barrel replaced for what I was sure was a short chamber, and it may well have been short, but they did replace the barrel.

The other boo boos or 'HOLY ____' moments I could attribute to me not quite knowing what I was doing. Now I can load a couple hundred and maybe reject one or two.

Oh, as per your problem, most quality bullet companies have perfected better ways to bond the core to the jacket. Older bullets needed to be pushed at a certain minimum velocity or the jackets could be left behind in the barrel. Especially bad were 'half jacketed' bullets that most companies don't make anymore.
I know what you mean about 9mm.

One of my pistols has rifling unusually deep into the chamber. Many 124 and 115 gn bullet profiles will catch on the rifling before the slide is fully closed.

My other 9mm simply will not feed plated flat point bullets from the top of the magazine no matter how I play with OAL.
The Following User Likes This Post: