View Single Post

Old 06-04-2018, 01:03 PM

Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE Mike View Post
I don't think I would add this technique to a training regimen. IMHO, there is no substitute for learning the fundamentals of marksmanship. Unfortunately, many novices today seem to start out without any understanding of what the fundamentals are before shooting a handgun. Only after a lot of shooting, doing the wrong things, do they finally try to sort things out. By that time, they have ingrained a lot of bad habits and advancement is much more difficult, because they have to unlearn all those bad habits. Many novices start out shooting as fast as they can at very close range and if they hit the full size target once in a while, they are happy. Learning to shoot a handgun well requires proper guidance and substantial effort. One must learn to crawl, then walk, and finally run.
I dont think he is advocating it as a training regimen, meaning the end goal is to shoot with your pinky sticking out. Its a technique to over-emphasize how the grip should feel in your hand, and to take one piece out of the equation as you try and troubleshoot the issue. If it works, then you learn how the grip should feel and when you place your pinky back down on the grip in a fundamentally sound position, you will be even more aware of what it is doing (or not doing) when you shoot.

I do the same thing with my shooting hand thumb...sometimes I feel like I pinch the pistol with my thumb too much, and this affects how the front sight moves vertically after breaking the shot (more side to side movement than tracking straight up and down). I stick the thumb way out away from the slide to over-emphasize NOT pinching the thumb, and then I gradually let my thumb fall back to where it normally sits as I find my front sight start to track correctly.