Thread: 9 mm Brass
View Single Post

Old 06-04-2018, 03:18 PM

Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts

I went to the range today. Mostly I shot factory ammo that I bought on-line in bulk. This stuff is dirt cheap compared to 357 Mag. However, I did load just 5 rounds with 4 grains of W231, FC brass, CCI 500 primers and 125 grain RN (new) coated bullets from SNS Castings at an OAL of 1.125. I was mainly interested that they would go bang and cycle. They did both. It’s a very mild shooting load and has the potential to be fairly accurate. At 10 yards they shot in a group a little over an inch from a nervous two-handed free-standing hold. Not very scientific, comprehensive, or definitive but certainly encouraging after my initial concerns. I will test more at 25 yards to get a better picture when I get a chance. Right now, I’m building my brass stockpile from the factory loads and getting used to my new gun.

One advantage over loading a 9mm over 357 is that I can see the charge in the case before seating the bullet. With the 357 I must rely on a powder check die. I will, however, continue to use a powder check die with the 9 mm. But it is reassuring to have a second powder check step.