Thread: 9 mm Brass
View Single Post

Old 06-04-2018, 09:38 PM

Liked 29,250 Times in 13,830 Posts
Default The gauge doesn't measure one thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
I had a case gauge, but I put it up somewhere when I realized I'd be shooting my handloads out of my pistols, not a gauge. For all my semi-auto ammo I use the "Plunk Test". IIRC, case gauges/cartridge gauges are minimal dimensions and ammo that doesn't pass the gauge test can still feed, fire, and eject just fine. All my "Just in Case" handloads, 45 ACP and 9mm, are mixed brass, and processing/loading, feeding, and velocities are so close as to be inconsequential.
For cartridge fit, the gauge works fine. But I've been surprised when the cartridge OAL ran the bullet into the rifling and won't go into battery completely, and maybe even get stuck hard requiring some mallet tapping to get out, and maybe even pulling the bullet.

For being so 'simple', perfecting 9mm reloads gave me a fit, especially considering that I have at least 6 guns that take 9mm ammo. Some are more forgiving than others.

I thought there was something wrong with the chamber on my Shield until I realized that it was the pickiest on cartridge length.

The best I've done is have one reject out of a hundred rounds, but using mixed brass is really looking for problems. I've decided that I'm going to trim all of my 9mm cases ONCE to at least get the length consistent even if I can't do anything about case wall thickness.