View Single Post

Old 06-05-2018, 08:26 PM

Liked 533 Times in 171 Posts
Default My CS9 “Chiefs Special” Mods

So I brought the CS9 to the range today to check on the results. I had also shaved my front sight down because the POI on this gun is extremely low, so the purpose of this range trip was twofold. I brought along the CZ 75 SP01 Shadow that I have also customized (race hammer, fitted sear, fitted disconnector, trigger, sights, barrel bushing, and also lighter springs) since I have recently replaced the grips with new ones and wanted to see how they performed.

The RO asked me (laughing) if I inherited the CS9... I gave a chuckle and we talked about Smiths and Sigs for a few mins. This guy was old school, and still he couldn’t believe I was carrying around a CS9 because I wanted to. He was rocking a very well worn P229 which he unloaded and allowed me to dry fire, and boy that trigger sure was nice. Then it was down to business with the CS9.

I began with the CS9 and 115 gr Federal RN FMJ rounds. I quickly discovered that even with the moderate amount I shave off the front sight, the POI was still too low. I tried some 124 gr Federal HST, and 124 gr Hornady Custom, and the Federal seemed more manageable and better groupings for me. I then went to 147 gr Federal HST and 147 gr Federal FN FMJ. The 147 gr definitely was best, and produced a “combat” POI out to 15 yards, which was as far as I went today with CS9. I did a bunch of decocking and DA shooting from low ready, and it performed flawlessly. This gun is a joy to shoot. It has lighter recoil compared to other guns its size. The SA is now light and accurate, just in case I need it. I put about 150 rounds through the CS9 today, and have shot close to 1000 total without one single malfunction of ANY kind. I really am going to have to buy more of these Smiths, to collect! The RO told me about a guy who comes in on Wednesday’s with a CS45, now I want to meet that guy and shoot it.

I brought home some groupings to post. These are pretty much what I’m capable of with a gun this size, so if it’s not up to your standards you may just be a better shot than I; but I promise you, I will still take you in hand to hand combat. Just kidding! I would HIGHLY recommend shooting one yourself. Below are groupings with the Federal 147 gr FN FMJ rounds, since I shot it the best with them today. There is also one with the 124 gr and it’s noticeably lower. So it looks like the 147 gr Federal HST is going to be my defensive round of choice for this gun as of now.

I also borrowed my neighbors trigger gauge to get some measurements, since my digital gauge broke awhile ago I still haven’t replaced it. This gauge seemed accurate, I tested on my Shadow which I know was just under 2.5# last I checked. With the shadow the borrowed gauge showed expected results, so I am confident enough in the accuracy. Below is a pic of the Shadow with a grouping from 20 yds

So the good news is the CS9 SA pull came in at 4.5-5#! It never went over 5# on the gauge after several pulls. For me, this is all I had hoped for. I can be accurate enough with this little gun now.

The DA came in at 9.5 to just over 10#! I was hoping it wouldn’t just be over the max on this gauge, or I would’ve been sad haha. This is without changing springs or cutting coils or anything like that. I am using the original mainspring and trigger bar rebound spring that came on the gun when I bought it.

Final thoughts on this gun... I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. All the stuff I did to it, well, I really enjoy doing this work. Perhaps too much. I can’t recommend anyone else tearing into a rare collectable gun. Especially certain things like basically polishing the entire inside of the frame. I mean sure, it’s cool that it will launch an empty magazine over a foot from the gun, while the grip is at an upwards 45 degree angle, but is it really necessary? I did this out of love for my gun, the gun that I carry with me to protect my life. It’s very personal for me. I shared because there isn’t much out there on modifying these guns, that I could find. I hope you enjoyed the posts, and maybe even learned something, or at least maybe I gave you an idea for your own gun.

I started out with carrying plastic guns, striker fired guns, etc. I went to a j frame because it was easier AND safer in my mind. Here’s my two Smiths pictured together.

I now have no interest in carrying a gun anymore unless it’s DA/SA. It’s the best of both worlds. Nothing to think about in a quick draw situation except pull the trigger. No safety to switch off when I carry in DA. I can ride the hammer while holstering. I can shoot SA follow up shots, which sure makes a lot of sense to me. I’m not going to say it’s the best for anyone else, but it is for me 100%.

In closing, I now know why collectors have been quietly hoarding these third gens. They are way under the radar, mostly undervalued, and will probably outshoot and outlast all of us. Sure, there are things I would change (and did), but I can’t see a gun like this being mass produced ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mercs; 06-06-2018 at 09:48 AM.
The Following 8 Users Like Post: