View Single Post

Old 06-06-2018, 03:25 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,164 Times in 2,774 Posts
Default First Registered Mag - Maybe

I've been gathering S&Ws since 1974 but never had a chance to buy, or even hold, a Registered Magnum. Figured if I ever did, and it was for sale, I'd have a hard time walking away. So, one turns up at the LGS (6.5 inch, no box/tools/reg form; just the gun) and I don't know enough to be able to value it; clearly an issue or two but basically looks like an almost new S&W. First obvious issue is engraving on the barrel (apparently a gift to a Field Artillery Company Commander from his troops "CAPT H O Welch from C Battery 144 FA); Ok maybe I can live with that. Nothing else looks wrong to me except a spot of blue wear on the frame; I'd say close to a 98% gun (no S&W factory stamps indicating a return to the factory), really no evidence of being fired although I'm sure it has been. Other than the spot on the right side of the frame all the glare spots that look like wear in the pictures are just glare. Stocks are numbered to the gun. I don't know enough about Registered Magnums to recognize any other problems. So, asking price was $6k; offered $5k OTD and we ended up at $5k plus tax. So, comments on what I should have seen but didn't, etc. etc. will be appreciated. Oh, by the way, I Googled H O Welch and got some hits; he was C Battery 144th FA Battalion CO around 1936, maybe for a couple years. The 144th FA was a California National Guard unit in Santa Barbara. I'll letter the gun and maybe learn a bit more. Can't decide if I'm irritated with CPT Welch's troops for scratching the gun or happy about it. Thoughts and comments welcome. I know I should have done more research before I bought it but was concerned it wouldn't be there if it sat longer. And the reason I put "Registered Magnum - Maybe" as the title of this thread, I read in the S&W Standard Catalog that some later guns stamped with a registration number were not really "registered" and are treated as "non-registered magnums." This one was 1938 or later so won't know until I letter it I guess.

Jeff
SWCA #1457
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reg Mag.jpg (100.0 KB, 1080 views)
File Type: jpg Reg Mag 2.jpg (103.6 KB, 1114 views)
File Type: jpg Reg Mag 3.jpg (101.6 KB, 907 views)
File Type: jpg Reg Mag 4.jpg (60.0 KB, 949 views)
File Type: jpg Reg Mag 5.jpg (60.3 KB, 904 views)

Last edited by 22hipower; 06-06-2018 at 03:38 PM.
The Following 121 Users Like Post:
0le, 1977cutcher, 22/32 JDF, 29aholic, 357magster, 3S16, 410bore, 6518John, 6actual, amazingflapjack, andy52, arjay, armenius, Art66, Barrie, bengal fan, bigolddave, bill skebeck, bmcgilvray, Bob L, boykinlp, bracebeemer, Breakaway500, browningcollector, bunkie12, CajunBass, charlie sherrill, chiefdave, CJSmith, cndrdk, CptCurl, crsides, Culina, D1911, daddio202, Daisyman, Dan M, Darkenfast, Davwingman, DGT, Donald Paul, EarlB, eb07, firemanhank, Frank46, Fredo Batali, gjamison, gregintenn, H P Bushrod, Hoosier45, Hunter Keith, Indynick, j38, JayCeeNC, Jeffrey A. Cooper, jhde69, jhnttrpp, Jim NNN, jmace57, JohnRippert, JSR III, JSW, Jtown, keith44spl, ki5mc, Kingspoke, Klaatu, lamarw, lawandorder, LB001, LeBur, les.b, Lewel, LJBrennan007, LLOYD17, Malysh, Mike Q., MisterC, model3sw, Model52guy, moosedog, mscook, MSgt G, Muddyboot, Muley Gil, M_conrad_0311, Nedroe, Ngtdog, NovaJoe, Old_Cop, OMCHamlin, pasote, quinn, RKmesa, Rock185, ryoiter, S&WsRsweet, S42N8, SDH, Semper Fi 57, Sevens, Shark Bait, shouldazagged, sniper007, snowman.45, sodacan, sophie, SRT, sturtyboy, Thinnes, Tkuisis, two-bit cowboy, usedkid, usm1rifle, usmc2427765, Usmc5811, vonn, WCCPHD, Wiregrassguy, wundudnee, Zarr