View Single Post

Old 06-06-2018, 07:03 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 38,386 Times in 11,801 Posts

Believe it or not, a 100 yard roll of tape-type dental floss is good. Weighs zilch, takes up no room, but it's surprisingly strong and good for small lashings and other uses. It's white and easy to see, so it can serve for trail marking. I would take not one but two of the light Mylar space blankets, plus one of the heavyweight versions with one side silver and the other blaze orange.

Of course I'm predicating this on the assumption that the kit will be for use in the wild; but it couldn't hurt to have those things anyway.

I'm also assuming that you will have some kind of good knife on your person, but a quality four- or 4.5-inch sheath knife, sturdy and easy to grip when wet, should be in the pack. So should waterproof matches. I liked having a Fisher Space Pen, which will write in any conditions, and a waterproof note pad along in case I needed to leave a note somewhere.

A little flat-folding stove for chemical fuel tabs or Sterno, and a supply of the lightweight fuel, takes up very little room and can be used to heat a canteen cup. And since you have that, a few packets of Knorr soup mix could nourish and warm you, and weigh almost nothing.

Last edited by shouldazagged; 06-06-2018 at 07:04 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: