View Single Post

Old 06-07-2018, 12:29 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 6,481 Times in 3,065 Posts

I owe some on this thread and apology, when I stated they had given bad advise and not read the OP's original post.

Turns out it was I who was guilty of misinterpreting the original post, as I had assumed the OP was look for a SELF DEFENCE handgun for his wife. Something for her to carry in her purse, in the car, on her person.

Reread that initial post and truth is the OP never mentions self defense. He was asking for advise for a plinking, target, shooting range type gun. Light weight and low powered.

That being the case, in my view, the Model 63/34 would be an ideal gun for the OP's wife. The somewhat uncommon 5-inch M63-4 of a few years ago is particularly well suited as a light target gun. The M317 is still a good choice, also. A older 4-inch Model 18 with the traditional tapered barrel and the right grips would be good, but that's the heaviest gun I would recommend.

The heavy barrel 17/18's and all versions of the M617 are heavy pigs. In fact, I believe long barrel version of the Model 617 may be the heaviest revolver S&W has ever made in it's 150 history.