View Single Post

Old 06-07-2018, 07:04 AM

Liked 11,837 Times in 5,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkenfast View Post
We've seen a lot of these threads and questions over the years. I would say (and this is just my own estimate), that Winchester NATO 124 grain ammunition will get somewhere between 1140-1180 in service length handguns. In spite of the warnings on the box, I believe that this load's pressure is only mildly +P by U.S. standards and probably average by western European standards. Note that pressure and velocity don't always correlate due to various factors such as burn rate, etc. Some NATO countries use 115 grain bullets, which appeared fairly early in the 9mm Parabellum's life.
NATO ammo pressure almost perfectly splits the difference between SAAMI standard pressure and +P pressure specifications. It's not as hot as many believe. Except for that NATO ammo made by Hirtenberger that was specifically for submachine guns. Don't know how much of that stuff is still out there as it was produced only in 1991, 92, and 93, but it is reported to be really hot ammo. FYI, that ammo is marked HP-91,92, or 93- L7A1 - and the NATO acceptance stamp.