View Single Post

Old 06-07-2018, 09:22 AM
US Veteran

Liked 6,512 Times in 2,036 Posts

My vote for travel and home use is a S&W 649. If I was going into close quarters combat again, I would have two 1911's and a 12Ga trench gun. But I expect if that need arises on the streets in the USA I will have enough time to get to the safe to get them out. In the meantime, I have put aside the high caps and 1911's in favor of a S&W 649 which in most situations I put myself in to will be quite adequate. If I am going into questionable territory I will either stay home or take along a 1911 shortie .45.
I had no problem switching from a semi auto to a decent revolver. Matters of actual need, adequacy, concealability, carry options, and comfort took me there without much trouble, but I will admit that age had a lot to do with it too.
Which ever you choose, become quite familiar with it. Practice situational awareness, safe handling, prompt presentation and readiness, and instinctive accuracy. These issues truly are your best company when you need to defend yourself, making the actual carry piece itself somewhat less of an issue, and vastly widening the field of items available to meet your need. Just be certain to get a reliable piece/format.

Last edited by JH1951; 06-07-2018 at 09:25 AM.