View Single Post

Old 06-07-2018, 09:57 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,261 Times in 1,885 Posts

Not knowing your actual budget, other than "money is an issue," it's hard to make specific recommendations. And don't forget, expenses don't end when you buy the gun...there is ammo, holster(s), and with a semi-auto, additional magazines. Cleaning products should be easily used by either gun...semi or revolver.

There have been a lot of good recommendations here so far...I personally would favor a semi over a revolver for all around use. It's better to have more ammo on hand than not enough. Even if you never use it, no one was ever killed for bringing too much ammo to a gun fight.

If your budget is around $300, I would recommend the SD9VE. Simple, basic gun, but highly reliable. It's revolver-like trigger should feel familiar to you. If your budget is more, I'd get the most gun I could get, for your only handgun. If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend the M&P 9mm 2.0 Compact. S&W has the best service in the industry, so you know they will support your purchase.

Now, I'm really going out on a limb here...I've not made a secret of my general disdain for Taurus products. BUT...Taurus now has the G2C (which is a newer version of the PT111 G2) and it's getting excellent reviews. It also has second strike capability, which some like and some don't. If you do look at one, buy it from Gun Genie (I am in no way affiliated with them)...which provides its own lifetime warranty. (Taurus is evidently going to a one year warranty.) I looked at them on Gun Genie, and the price including taxes, shipping, and fees to my LGS was $262 out the door. I was going to buy one myself, figuring at that price, how bad could it be? But some unplanned expenses (car repair, wife's surgery) have put that off for a while.

Whatever you decide, good luck and happy shooting.