View Single Post

Old 06-07-2018, 04:58 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,114 Times in 501 Posts
Exclamation Loading Mistake on 38-Special 158XTP instead of 125XTP w/HS6

I have been reloading .357 with 158XTP and N105 all week (~500) and was finishing off the final 50 or so this morning, since my Lee Turret Press was already set up for just that. THAT went well... BUT, BUT, BUTT!

Then I was going to shift to loading ~100 38 Specials w/125XTP bullets... I tried to be meticulous to get it right, HOWEVER, after switching over to HS6 for the 38 Specials, I forgot to move the dang 158XTPs aside and open a new box of 125XTPs. They were on the bench already, and set aside for just that task. Pet peeve is that all the Hornady bullet boxes "look the same", same color same layout, etc., with only the grain size difference on an end label,... grr...rr...

ANYWAY, all said and done, I ended up loading 158XTPs in my 38 Special brass with WAY TOO MUCH powder of HS 6 for the weight of the bullets.
Target = 125XTP with 7.2gr of HS6
Result = 158XTP with 7.2gr of HS6

BIG MISTAKE: The max load for a 38 Special paired with HS6 and a 158XTP is 6.5gr. and THAT is at +P loads! I have 100 rounds of 38 Special with 7.2gr of HS6 that will/could blow my favorite 686 4in. up!

Currently I have a cheap Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller that I am SURE won't last long enough to pull 100 rounds, since it is at the bottom-feeding level of such pullers. SOOooooooo...

Question is:
What is the BEST (and most durable) bullet puller for this job?

Geez! At least I caught it before an Armageddon range incident! ... So help me out here... My cheap little plastic puller is NOT up for this job. I need a good puller that will allow me to salvage all components... bullet, powder, and case w/primer...
The Following User Likes This Post: