Thread: Old School CCW
View Single Post

Old 06-09-2018, 03:08 PM

Liked 10,858 Times in 3,275 Posts

For the past few months I had considered getting a small pistol in .380 caliber for light-weight, easily concealled carry over summer. I ended up deciding that I was not willing to trust my life to the stopping power of a .380 caliber.

.32 ACP? No, not for me, thanks anyway.

I am one of those guys who has never shot anyone with a pistol, so my opion doesn't count. But if it did, I would put a minimum on .38 Special +P for revolvers, and 9mm for pistols.

Shot placement is not everything. It IS something, but it is not everything. I read (yes, that's right, read) that over 50% of shots fired in a defensive situation completely miss the guy being shot at. So I want as many of the odds as possible tipped in my favor if I should ever be involved in such an event.

I did shoot a deer once with a Ruger (ugh) Mini 14 in .223 Remington caliber. I achieved perfect shot placement, and the deer was DRT. It was still a stupid stunt on my part though, but I was a young guy and that was the only rifle I had at the time. My minimum now for that type of hunting would be something much more substantial than a .223.

Yes, it will (might) work if everything goes just right. That's just not good enough for me. YMMV.

Last edited by Warren Sear; 06-09-2018 at 03:11 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: