View Single Post

Old 06-09-2018, 05:39 PM

Liked 4,294 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyeshooter View Post
I would like to thank all those who took the time to thoughtfully consider our particular desires for a light weight and low recoil plinking and target shooting pistol. After much study and deliberation I just bought her a very nice S&W model 63. We could not find one (a 63 or 34 etc) here to hold so I had her hold my Walther PPK that with a full clip inserted weighed as much as the Model 63. She could handle the weight fine. In the end I thought durability and balance issues favored this choice over the 317. They are identical except for the stainless so the fit in the hand should be the same. She wanted a fool proof weapon where she did not need to load a clip and pull a slide. When we go to the range we take a table and chairs (plus my oxygen, etc) and I have a steady rest she can use for accuracy if she wishes. We will not do a great deal of shooting but I hope our range time will increase as she warms to the sport. I have the hearing protection, chrony, etc. one needs for target shooting. My next item will be a swinging metal target we can put far enough away to be safe from fragments. We both appreciate the glow sights since old eyes (I only have one that works) need all the help they can get. I have waited over 50 years for her to become interested so I wanted to make sure the gun she wanted and could use would be the one we got for her. I appreciate all the thoughtful responses members here made that influenced this choice. I feel very good about it and she is excited to get the new revolver when it gets here next week. Thanks again.
FWIW, I just held a 317 and a 63 myself this week. While I still think either would be a good choice, I do believe you made the right choice ( for your stated purpose) with the 63. The extra weight and improved ballance is going to help tame the firing sequence and make it less likely to pull off the target with the trigger squeeze.

Hope you and the wife make many a great memories with that little gun.
ps. You know you owe us a range report soon, right?