View Single Post

Old 06-10-2018, 12:16 AM

Liked 2,249 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitwabit View Post
I would much rather have more then enough bullets then be just even 1 short.. That could easily cause you to be a statistic .. something I'm not ready to be yet .. you carry your snubbie with 5 or 6 shots and I will carry my 13+1 .. may not need it but then if I do that 3 to 5 second reload you will have to do will like get you killed !! and if you don't practice reloading under stress your reload time could be as much as 8 to 10 seconds if you fumble under the pressure .. are you willing to make that commitment to practicing reloading a revolver .. many are not and that alone make the auto a better carry ..
Where is the evidence that 5 rounds won't likely be enough?

There are thousands of cases of civilians using firearms in self-defense each year, but the percentage of incidents that exceed the capacity of the revolver is extremely small if there are any at all in a given year.

And reloading is an even rarer occurrence.

Having greater capacity is better than having less providing all things are equal, but things are rarely equal and it surely isn't the case in this comparison. To gain those extra rounds, you have to make compromises. By going to a high capacity autoloader, you get a gun that will be slower to get into action, offers a lesser degree of functional weapon retention against disarm attempts and is less reliable, especially in extreme close-quarter scenarios.

Many folks will say their autoloaders are just as reliable as a revolver and my Glocks are extremely so in the context of range shooting, but it's extremely rare to see footage of an actual defense scenario that has any resemblance to the controlled type of shooting most people do at the range. Shooting one-handed, while in movement, from awkward positions or at contact distance seem to be the norm and as reliable as my Glocks are, I just don't have the confidence in them that I have with a revolver in that context.

You say the slow reloading times of the revolver will get you killed, but what about a malfunction, disarm or an unintentional mag dump with an auto? I've seen numerous competitors say they see malfunctions and inadvertent mag dumps at pretty much every practical shooting match they go to and these are highly skilled and experienced individuals in a relatively controlled environment. Might the chances of problems be much greater in the chaos of a life and death situation? Plus ECQ scenarios are not included there, but watch footage of some of Craig Douglas' ECQC courses and you will see frequent malfunctions with the Glock sim guns.

And I'm talking a carry weapon. For home defense in situations where you have more time to prepare and establish distance from a relatively fixed location from which you can shoot from a stable two-handed platform, I think the high capacity auto makes sense. Or even a long gun perhaps. However, if answering the door to a stranger, stepping outside to walk the dog, get the mail, take out the trash and even investigating a noise, I'll opt for the snub due to the potential of an ECQ situation. Plus it's much easier and more practical to have an airweight snub on me all the time compared with my Glock 17/19 as I may not have time or opportunity to retrieve it.

Just friendly debate.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: