View Single Post

Old 06-10-2018, 03:22 AM

Liked 6,021 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&WIowegan View Post
THIS^^^I see newbies in both USPSA and IDPA constantly running their gun dry in the middle of a string. This is somewhat understandable in IDPA since shoot to slide lock is part of the game. Even so smart IDPA shooters dump rounds so they can reload during transitions. In USPSA, if you can't learn to reload when best for efficient stage management, you are hopeless.
I cannot endorse this comment enough!

I shoot with a great bunch of guys in my grade but without exception they fail to shoot their stage plan.

They allocate 2 rounds to paper but only 1 to steel. They miss a steel target and their plan goes out the door. They shoot to slide lock instead of reloading with one in the chamber, and continue to shoot to slide lock throughout the rest of the stage.

On the other hand I "budget" 2 rounds per target, paper and steel, and I am always conscious I may have to shoot an additional shot if I make a poor shot. I will reload before I planed to if I must but at the first opportunity its I get back on plan.

I carry two mags behind my holster for weak hand shooting/reloading. I once missed two easy shots weak handed and while taking the makeup shots realised I would run out of ammo before my planned reload on the move, so I drew a spare mag with my strong hand. When I changed mags between targets it was smooth. When I moved I changed mags again. I could have retained the partially spent mag if I had too but it wasn't needed.

I have the luxury of unlimited reloads, but if I was restricted as IDPA is I would save a partially spent magazine in order to get back on track.

Plan the shoot, shoot the plan, but be prepared to improvise where needed but then get back on plan.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: