View Single Post

Old 06-11-2018, 12:47 AM
US Veteran

Liked 19,049 Times in 6,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverenoughguns View Post
I recently acquired what I believe to be a 5 screw, pre model 10. Serial number is s9212xx. Condition is about 75%.
S prefix M&P revolvers were made only from early 1946 until March, 1948. Approximately the last 10,000 copies had the new High Speed hammer, which is what identifies the so-called "pre-model 10." (I personally dislike that nomenclature, but I guess we are stuck with it.) Your revolver will have the old long action, which I think is nicer for shooting anyway.

Quote:
Can anyone help w/ production year?
Guns in the S912xxx range were shipping in June and July, 1947. There can be fliers, so only a letter will give you certainty.

Quote:
What is the correct set of grips?
two-bit cowboy answered this for you, so look at his pictures. What to look for is the sharper angle on the shoulder. It became more tapered in 1953. If the edges at the butt are rounded, they are too new (but all of those will also have the more tapered shoulder).

Quote:
I know there are a ton of these out there in this condition but what is the approximate value w/o the proper grips?
At 75% I would not expect to pay more than about $275. It would make a good shooter, but it no longer carries any collector interest.

If you would be so kind, would you send me a PM with the full serial number and the barrel length, so I can add this example to my research? Thanks.
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318
The Following User Likes This Post: