View Single Post

Old 06-11-2018, 01:30 AM

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

I almost feel bad keeping this thread dragging along. Shot 200 rounds today. Did about 120 rounds of five shot groups at 12 yards. Not real impressive, but was four and five inch groups for the vast majority. Couple three inch groups.

I tried Rastoff's suggestion of extending my pinky out. First round I missed the whole target lol. I think was high. Was shooting smaller targets - I think eight inches - plenty big enough for 12 yards tho. Extending the pinky did seem to help. I did a couple five shot groups like that, and the low shots were only a couple inches. I then made sure my emphasis on grip was focused more on the top and middle of the grip.

I'm shooting circular patterns for the most part, as many a couple inches high as there are low shots. More shots going left than right - shooter error. I believe I've FINALLY conquered the shooting low issue. Much thanks to everyone for pitching in advice on this thread. And Rastoff, I certainly apologize for being so rude with you in the early going in this thread. I believe you really hit the nail on the head with extending the pinky. It appears I was exerting too much pressure on the bottom of the grip. I can't remember focusing so much on grip before.

I fired a couple groups thru my FNS long slide (.40 cal) I was a little tighter group with that pistol than the Smith. The FNS has a larger front sight dot, and I seem to focus it quicker and easier. Funny because a bigger dot covers more of the target - but it is what it is. I'm shooting the G 23 about the same or a little better than the FNS. That 6 o'clock hold I like there.

My next move is the Apex triggers. I'll do the long slide before the compacts - just to make sure the trigger suits me. At like $160.00 per trigger, I'm not made of money lol. I have also planned to go with night sights. However, seeing how I'm acquiring the bigger dot on the FNS noticeably better, I may rethink that - possibly a high viz front sight. The sights I choose are going to turn out to be a real chore on what will work best for me and still fill the needs of my intended purpose - which is self defense - not target shooting. I'm sure there are all sorts of opinions on the topic of sights and shooting, and I know it's a different type shooting - but at the end of the day, I feel like target shooting and self defense shooting are not really all that different. You know what they say, shot placement is key.

I was outdoor shooting in the desert again today, and I must say - I love it out there. Getting out there at like 6:00, and staying just until the sun goes down enough to not be able to see the targets well enough. Once I'm off the concrete and down the dirt road, the heat isn't near as bad, and hasn't bothered me one bit. I rapid fired 10 rounds a couple times at rocks on hillsides I deemed as enemy combatants lol. It's a good target because I can see how big my groupings are as the rounds hit the surrounding dirt. At like 15 yards I'd say I was grouping about two and a half feet. I'm not certain how good that is, but was pulling the trigger as fast as I could. And it's a .40 cal, not a 9mm.

The guy I go shooting with is out of town for another week on vacation. We are going to an outdoor range for rifle shooting, making sure our rifles are sighted in correctly. It's been a while since we've done that. Hopefull the following week I can get him out to open desert for pistol shooting.

I've been unable to send pics and vids from my phone to my computer for a few months now. A new phone arrives in the mail tomorrow. I want to get some vid of me shooting so I can see how my muzzle flip is while shooting, especially rapid firing. I do have some muzzle flip, but it seems minimal to me. I think only seeing a vid of me shooting will be the best way to tell. I don't have camera equipment, so I can't do it when shooting solo. All part of trying to get better I guess.