View Single Post

Old 06-11-2018, 08:10 AM

Liked 466 Times in 206 Posts

There is a myriad of cleaning fluids and tools out there. I use a brass rod, copper brush, cotton patches, Hoppes #9, and SLIP 2000 lubricants. I hesitate to say that one brand works better compared to another as I have not tried ALL of them. I can only tell you what works for me.

I have a few caveats here. The first, I don't use stainless steel brushes to clean my firearms. These type brushes may harm cylinder chambers and/or the bore of the firearm. Second, I only use products that are specifically formulated to clean/lubricate firearms. Others may have had good fortune when cleaning with other compounds. I am happy for them. These may or may not work for their intended purpose short or long term. I'm no SME. No big deal if all you do is shoot on the square range. If, however, you carry a weapon as part of your job description or otherwise go in harm's way, a malfunction as a result of improper or inadequate lubrication could be a show-stopper. Lastly, I try to minimize exposure to products that are petroleum based or otherwise contain chemicals "known to cause cancer in the state of California" (or Pennsylvania). Those warnings on the bottle are what we in LE call "clues".

I don't get my shorts in a knot by insisting on a specific brand of cleaner, lubricant, cotton patch, or bore brush to complete my mission, which has changed dramatically since September 2017. This works for me. My recommendations here are not "the" way, they are "a" way. Try different products and have at it.

HTH

JPJ
The Following User Likes This Post: