View Single Post

Old 06-11-2018, 10:25 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,944 Times in 1,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritze View Post
My location is Arlington, Texas. Would it make a difference where you live?
Hi Fritze: welcome to the Forum. My condolences on the loss of your husband.

In my experience, used gun prices tend to be highly regionalized. So, yes, where you are located could indeed have an impact on the sale price of your revolver. Generally speaking, with regards to handguns, the longer the barrel length, the lower the desire for it, and this has an impact on the pricing. Also, it appears the nickel finish was not applied at the factory. If you look at the back of the cylinder, see if you can see a "N" stamped into the cylinder. If so, this might help drive interest in the piece. Some people love a nickel finish on a handgun, and some people have no love for them. The problem with a nickel finish is that once it starts flaking, I don't believe it can be fixed or repaired short of replating it.

It's hard for me to assess the condition of your revolver from the photos you posted. If it were me, I'd try to carefully clean the outside of the revolver by using Windex sprayed on a cotton ball, and gently trying to wipe down the outer surfaces. I'd follow this with an application of a coat of some light oil. If you want to be conservative, try the application of a light coat of oil with a cotton ball first to see if that helps clean up the surface. See if that helps clean up the cloudiness, and if you can post additional photos.

Without actually seeing and examining the piece, my best guess as to value would be around $500.00 - $650.00. If the nickel plating was not done at the factory, any collector value is essentially gone - again, only in my opinion. if the nickel finish is in good condition, I'd place the value closer to the $650.00 mark. Also, if you can find the factory box, grips, and papers (owner's manual and/or promotional literature), and tools (cleaning rod, brush, mop, and sight adjustment tool - screwdriver), this can be quite attractive to a collector, and might add some money to the sale price.

I hope this information is useful to you, and I wish you the very best of luck.

Regards,

Dave
The Following User Likes This Post: