View Single Post

Old 06-12-2018, 09:27 AM
US Veteran

Liked 14,346 Times in 5,471 Posts

Thanks for the post on the book. I have been meaning to read about the forgotten war since returning from being a chaperone on an Honor Flight to DC. The Korean War Veterans are now replacing out WWII vets on these flights and they now have a sprinkling of Vietnam Veterans, which was my era in service. The Korean War memorial is a must see. That plus all happenings in the news about North Korea willl make reading the book a high priority.

I have heard stories about the cold and winters in Korea, but I believe it had more to do with the lack of proper clothing and quarters than the actual cold temperatures. Even during Vietnam, the US Army was still relying on wool as a their major source of cold protection in colder climate deployment.

I have to mention to my fellow Michigander that the 38th Parallel is warmer than the south shore of Lake Superior in Michigan. Our average temperature in January, which is the coldest month, is 21° and 4° here near the 46th Parallel, while Pyongyang in January is 27° and 9°. It is much colder in other northern states in the US than in North Korea. Only the northern most mountainous regions of the Korean peninsula are colder than the northern US. I do agree, however, that it was the coldest "official war" ever fought by US forces.

Last edited by glowe; 06-12-2018 at 09:28 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: