View Single Post

Old 06-12-2018, 03:02 PM

Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
Default Need education on 9mm bullet weights for short barrels

Hi,
I've always been a revolver (.38 Spl) girl, but recently I'm trying to develop a love for the auto loaders. I'm not a frequent shooter, just occasionally over many decades. Retired female, small hands.

I have two S&W auto loaders--the original version M&P 9C and the Shield 9mm 2.0. I really like both of these guns, although the Shield's slimmer grip seems to fit my small hands a little better. I haven't changed the 9C's backstrap, though.

I've tried to find the answers to my questions on my own, but the info I've found is often contradictory, so here I am asking in this thread.

Please help me understand the pros and cons of lighter and heavier for-caliber bullets. So far I've only shot 115 and 124 gr. FMJ (Lawman and American Eagle), and 124 gr. JHP (Federal HST, but will try GD too). I don't really recall if I could tell much difference--they all seem to want to jump out of my hands, but so far, I haven't let them. Therefore, I'll stick with standard pressure.

Both these guns have shorter barrels, 3.5" and 3.1", IIRC. I have mostly 124's but recently ordered some 147's, although I've not had a chance to shoot them yet.

What weight (especially for HST or GD) in standard pressure do all of you like in these sub-compacts for a defense round?

Also can you explain how being "subsonic" (147's?) affects performance? I take subsonic to mean slower than the speed of sound, but I don't understand the significance of that in a round. And aren't most rounds going to be below the speed of sound in the very short barrels? Idk.

This may be splitting hairs, but I'm a nerd at heart and just like to understand reasons for preferences, and of course I want to choose the best option. I know I need to shoot all of these, but I still want your thoughts and advice.

Also, I read conflicting info on whether heavier bullets produce greater or lighter recoil. Which is it for the 9mm's?

Bottom line, what weights do y'all like for the 9c (first version) and the Shield 2.0 in 9 mm for defensive ammo? And why, if you don't mind. Any other thoughts and advice are also appreciated.

Thanks much!
The Following User Likes This Post: