View Single Post

Old 06-12-2018, 03:53 PM

Liked 29,239 Times in 13,823 Posts
Default At last, a fellow nerd.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec fan View Post
Hi,
I've always been a revolver (.38 Spl) girl, but recently I'm trying to develop a love for the auto loaders. I'm not a frequent shooter, just occasionally over many decades. Retired female, small hands.

I have two S&W auto loaders--the original version M&P 9C and the Shield 9mm 2.0. I really like both of these guns, although the Shield's slimmer grip seems to fit my small hands a little better. I haven't changed the 9C's backstrap, though.

I've tried to find the answers to my questions on my own, but the info I've found is often contradictory, so here I am asking in this thread.

Please help me understand the pros and cons of lighter and heavier for-caliber bullets. So far I've only shot 115 and 124 gr. FMJ (Lawman and American Eagle), and 124 gr. JHP (Federal HST, but will try GD too). I don't really recall if I could tell much difference--they all seem to want to jump out of my hands, but so far, I haven't let them. Therefore, I'll stick with standard pressure.

Velocity is required for SDr bullets to perform properly, therefore it makes sense that in shorter barrels, lighter bullets can attain the velocity required. However Speer makes 'Short Barrel' ammo that is designed to perform at lower velocities. Due to personal preference, though, I like 124 gr bullets for everything, but I do dabble in 147 grains for accuracy in target loads. If it wants to jump out of your hands, but you can control it, it sounds like you've got it about where it should be.

Both these guns have shorter barrels, 3.5" and 3.1", IIRC. I have mostly 124's but recently ordered some 147's, although I've not had a chance to shoot them yet.

For some reason, I just don't care for 115 gr. bullets myself. Like I said above, a 147 gr. bullet with a light charge of Accurate #7 gets great accuracy and repeatability for me.

What weight (especially for HST or GD) in standard pressure do all of you like in these sub-compacts for a defense round?

I lean toward 124 gr.in any configuration and Gold Dot short barrel bullets are 124 gr. in 9mm, 135 gr in .38

Also can you explain how being "subsonic" (147's?) affects performance? I take subsonic to mean slower than the speed of sound, but I don't understand the significance of that in a round. And aren't most rounds going to be below the speed of sound in the very short barrels? Idk.

If you shoot with a suppressor, subsonic ammo has less of a sonic 'crack'. Many subsonic 9mm rounds are 147 gr. to maintain effectiveness at a lower velocity by providing deeper penetration

This may be splitting hairs, but I'm a nerd at heart and just like to understand reasons for preferences, and of course I want to choose the best option. I know I need to shoot all of these, but I still want your thoughts and advice.

Also, I read conflicting info on whether heavier bullets produce greater or lighter recoil. Which is it for the 9mm's?

PERCEIVED recoil is most important. From your description of 'almost jumps out of your hand', it sounds like you are on the edge of where you ought to be. Practice may improve your ability to take recoil and still provide fast follow up shots, but let your ammo choice reflect your capabilities in this department. In spite of physics forumlas, light fast or heavy slow is about a trade off. Just make sure you can shoot the ammo you carry.

Bottom line, what weights do y'all like for the 9c (first version) and the Shield 2.0 in 9 mm for defensive ammo? And why, if you don't mind. Any other thoughts and advice are also appreciated.

Thanks much!
Like I said before, 124 grains seems ideal to me for a defense round in 9mm. I find the Shield to be comfortable to shoot in spite of its slimness.

The armed forces version of a 9mm uses a 115 gr FMJ Round nose bullets, which pretty much poke holes through the enemy without expanding, Using what the military uses isn't the same thing at all for civilian SD purposes.

And you will get contradiction because differences in personal preferences and 'philosophies' are different between people. An example of a 'philosphy' is that some people believe the light, fast bullet that expands is best or the heavy slug that penetrates. I'm in the middle. I think a medium weight bullet at a decent velocity will get expansion and penetration. Some of these trade-offs don't matter as much as having the right gun and round that you can shoot effectively and repeatably. Being able to hit a vital area is vital.

PS: I favor Federal HSTs, Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Saber and any of the well known brands that are proven dependable. I see no use in spending $$$s for 'boutique' ammo when the common brands are so good.

Last edited by rwsmith; 06-12-2018 at 04:07 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: