View Single Post

Old 06-12-2018, 06:39 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

Everybody's needs/wants/situations are different. Personally, I'm not LE or military. I'm going to avoid or runaway if possible. As has been stated before, the vast majority of self defense encounters, where shots are actually fired, will be resolved within a few rounds, one way or another. People more experienced than myself have said that one is more likely to run out of time than ammo.

Additionally, most videos of actual civilian self defense shootings I've seen end up with the attackers, in the case of multiple assailants, running away (or trying to) as soon as shots are fired, since even bad guys don't want to get shot.

Are there times when 5 rounds aren't enough? Of course. There've also been times when 20 rounds wasn't enough.

I live in a relatively high crime area, but I'm ok with carrying a 642. Most of the time I'm even unarmed (employer rules and the law say I can't carry while working). I view a gun as one tool in my self defense toolbox. It's a good tool to have, and I would prefer having one with me everywhere I go, but I don't rely on it as my only tool, even when I'm carrying it.

If you want to carry more, then do so. There's nothing wrong with carrying more. The only problem I have is with people who have the mentality that unless you're carrying a Glock 19 with 2 mags, a BUG with at least one reload, 3 knives, 2 flashlights, and a partridge in a pear tree, then you're unprepared and will die in a gunfight (I'm not saying you, or anyone else here, is saying that, but I have seen that mentality around). There's a lot more to surviving than hardware.

Now, for full disclosure, I do plan on getting a compact 9mm by summer's end (*fingers crossed*), but mostly as a carry option as my only choices right now are either a 642 or my full-size Beretta 92FS. I don't know if it would replace my 642 as my EDC, but it might. However, I still consider my 642 an adequate carry gun.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by ContinentalOp; 06-12-2018 at 06:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: