View Single Post

Old 06-12-2018, 08:04 PM

Liked 987 Times in 404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSeabrooke View Post
In addition to the above responses, having purchased several (my wife says "many") firearms through the Internet, I have a few additional thoughts on this subject:

1. I am not sure whether or not the seller has an obligation to disclose this fact in the listing. However, I certainly would, and a seller certainly should. Negative feedback regarding a non-disclosed firearm defect can be a "wooden stake through the heart" for any seller. After I have completed the required documents at my LGS I have one of the most knowledgeable people there go over the firearm with me before I walk out. If not disclosed, this is another opportunity to identify this problem, if it exists. He and I identified a Model 57 with a "trigger action job" that was never disclosed. The seller allowed me to return it for a full refund.

2. If this is a risk or concern for any buyer, I would certainly make a specific inquiry of the seller about it in the "pre-bid" questions. No matter what the listing states, I always send an e-mail to the seller or call before I start bidding regarding my own "hot buttons" - 1) trigger job or action, 2) excessive barrel-cylinder gap, undisclosed mechanical issues, 3) excessive cylinder play, etc. I have several Model 25s and I always asked the sellers about the possibility of oversized cylinder throats before I bid. They never complained to me about my request. As a seller, this has never been a "PITA Issue", resolving these possible issues before a buyer bids is far better than attempting to resolve these issues post-sale.

3. Although we all have a difference of opinion regarding the responsiveness and timely resolution of warranty issues by the OEM, I believe that, for the most part, they are eventually resolved in our favor. The S&W Holding Company sales and profits are on the rise. That would not happen if it were not for us.
I don't sell firearms on any auction sites. However I do sell some things on Flea bay. When I get questions from any potential bidder that are along the lines of your questions they receive no answer and are blocked from ever being able to bid on any of my items. Reason: I don't need one, too many people glad to be able to buy whatever I am offering. I always understate the condition of my items and my feedback proves it. The guys that ask the most questions never bid.