View Single Post

Old 06-13-2018, 08:50 AM

Liked 25,740 Times in 8,697 Posts

Bore snakes are for Field cleaning or a quick clean when a gun will be shot again very soon. They do NOT do a thorough enough job IMHO. They are way better than nothing and do clean about 70% or so, but for a "proper cleaning" when you are to store your gun back in the safe, they lack thoroughness. If you doubt what I am saying, use a Bore Snake, and then clean the same gun once again with a rod, bronze bore brush, 100% cotton patches and a good solvent. When you see what still comes out you will "get it".

We all have our favorite cleaning tools, brushes and solvents but since you asked, mine are:

Brownell's 100% cotton patches bought in bulk.

Brownell's Bronze Bore Brushes bought in a dozen pack.

Dewey Stainless cleaning rods with brass jags and loops.

Rig #2 Oil, Hoppes #9 (if really dirty), or Remoil to clean.

A good Bore Light to see inside barrel and cylinders.

A good rubber "bar mat" to hold all solvents and oils and so your guns don't get scratched.

I DO use Bore Snakes while in the Hunting Cabin and intend on going out into the Field once again either later that day or the next day. Also when hunting not many shots are actually fired so the gun is not that dirty.

After being into this hobby a while you will quickly find it is way smarter and less expensive to buy cleaning supplies in large containers, bulk bags of 1,000 patches, and bulk packs of brushes. They do not go bad and buying in bulk will save you lots of money. ALSO..... IMO the carded bore brushes like Hoppes, Outers, etc. are not even close to the Brownell's quality Bronze & Nylon ones. HINT: instead of using pistol length brushes on Revolver Cylinders, use the Rifle length ones. You get about 40% more cleaning with each stroke of the bore rod due to the longer length. Just be aware not to use rifle brushes on revolver barrels because they usually will not fully make it through the barrel and so they will bend if reversed within the barrel.

Last edited by chief38; 06-13-2018 at 08:57 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: