View Single Post

Old 06-13-2018, 10:18 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,944 Times in 1,494 Posts

Mr. Harry:

I think you're really going to enjoy that rifle. My Savage 99c dates from the 1960s. Even though the action functioned smoothly, I decided one day that it could probably benefit from a detailed cleaning...so working carefully and methodically, I disassembled the piece to clean and oil it. No problems with the disassembly (isn't that almost always the case), and there was quite a bit of dried gunk and dirt internally. Between the time I was cleaning it and prior to reassembly, a couple of guys I know told me that disassembling the rifle was a real mistake, and that reassembly was going to be a nightmare. They encouraged me to order a gunsmithing DVD devoted to the disassembly and reassembly of the Savage 99 rifle. Okay, I placed the order for the DVD, and then turned to the now cleaned and (lightly) oiled rifle pieces. Reassembly was very easy and no real trick at all. I decided to cancel the DVD order and a short time later I received a phone call from the vendor asking if I really wanted to cancel the order. When they asked why I was cancelling, I told them the truth - and that I simply didn't need the DVD. I told the vendor that in my opinion the Savage 99 was an elegantly designed piece, and he agreed.

Regards,

Dave
The Following User Likes This Post: