View Single Post

Old 06-13-2018, 06:05 PM

Liked 42 Times in 9 Posts
Default 617-2 at local pawn shop

Looking for some advice from the forum...

I have located a 617-2 (with the aluminum cylinder) at a local pawn shop with some nice engravings. I was able to take the picture that I included with this thread. My issue with the gun is the side plate; the previous owner's name is engraved there. While I do love the other "scroll" engraving on the barrel and frame, I am not fond of a name on the revolver. There may be some issues finding another side plate which would not match the scrolling engraving. No big deal there...

I have contacted Smith and Wesson customer service. This, like other revolvers I've sent in, could take 3 months or more (for a new side plate), and, cost anywhere from $200-$250. I have offered the pawn shop $400 ($200 off their $600 price point). They are willing to do the deal if the gun sits for another week.

After all fees and taxes, I would be looking (estimated) at a 617 with the aluminum cylinder that could cost me near $700. I would love to add this pre-lock 617 to my collection; I would appreciate opinions (price wise) on value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 617.jpg (80.6 KB, 348 views)
The Following User Likes This Post: