View Single Post

Old 06-13-2018, 09:21 PM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermd View Post
Can you shoot one at 100 yards and post it? Be Safe,
I can, but I don't have a red dot mounted at the moment. However, I do have a 200 yard, 5 shot group, I shot using back up iron sights (BUIS) off a rest. Will this do?

Not quite as good as the other target, but still <1MOA while using Wolf Gold ammo. Sure, this isn't with a red dot, but it's the same principle.

Please understand, I completely agree with you that a scope is the right way to go for precision shooting. Someone said that a red dot cannot be used for precision shooting and that's false. Is it the best choice? No, but you can get pretty precise with it.

The red dot is a superior choice for 100 yards and closer when speed is necessary. Also, what is the purpose of said gun? If self-defense is your goal, then a 2MOA gun is fine. In fact the MIL-SPEC for the M4 is 5 inches at 100 yards. If any of us owned a gun with that poor of an accuracy we'd be changing something.

But self-defense doesn't require super precision. Check this out:

I shot this target with a Tavor X95 (not known for it's accuracy). Here we see a 3.7MOA group shot at 100 yards. Most would not be happy with this, but I was ecstatic. You see this was shot while standing, starting from the ready position, timed at 5 seconds, one shot at a time. I was using an ACOG 3x scope. I managed to get each shot off under 3 seconds. The blue square is 6" wide. This means that all of these shots are kill shots. So, yeah, huge group, but well within the limits of what the gun was made to do.

Each shooter must decide what they want from their gun. If ultimate precision is the goal, get a good scope (hint: Bushnel ain't it). If speed and defense is the goal, a good red dot is probably the best choice. If you're like me and want a mix, the 3x ACOG is hard to beat.