View Single Post

Old 06-13-2018, 11:06 PM
US Veteran

Liked 32,372 Times in 5,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwk View Post
Lots of good advice. I'll repeat get a good manual. Lyman prints a very good one that is NOT specific to a particular powder company or bullet company. I like it better than the Lee manual which is also good. If you love a particular brand of bullet buy that bullet company's manual 2nd. That applies more to rifles than pistols.

Start w midrange loads. Don't push the throttle.

Don't reload when you're tired or distracted. Reloading is not a group sport either so make sure you can focus.

Good lighting is a big plus.

Lee makes good inexpensive gear. 30 plus years of reloading and a pile of gear plus a good budget and I still buy a lot of Lee products. I really like their pistol dies. Buy carbide dies so you don't have to lube straight wall pistol cases.

For punching paper and plinking lead bullets are more economical. For 38s I'd start w a 158 grain lead semiwadcutter. There are a lot of good powders. I like Unique even though there are powders that are easier to run through a powder measure. Unique can go from target loads to full power. Bullseye is also good. Winchester 231 measures well and is a good powder.

Don't force stuff. If it feels like you are having to force something make sure you are doing it right.

A used desk can make an inexpensive 1st loading bench. You'll want a good bench later but a cheap desk w a plywood reinforced top is a good starter and cheap.

GO SLOW! PAY ATTENTION! HAVE FUN! You won't save money but you'll shoot more for the same money plus reloading can be as fun as shooting ok almost as fun.
There can be no better advice offered.