View Single Post

Old 06-13-2018, 11:47 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,123 Times in 301 Posts
Default Transitional 38/44 OD (new photos added)

Well there have been several posts recently about "what should I do with this" revolver? I am usually of the mind that one should leave as original as possible, but in the case that there has already been significant irreversible changes, then do what you want. I now have two "project guns" going as I now post. The first is a 3.5" RM that Phil Quigley is engraving due to a poor refinish in hard chrome by a PO and now this transitional 38/44 SN 69311.
A previous owner parkerized this little gal, probably due to some corrosion. I have entrusted my local gunsmith to a restoration of sorts. Function is good in all areas with it being a little loose in lock up, but this too will be remedied. This girl is going to be bright blue with some fancy stocks and new hammer and trigger thanks to cgt4570 (Chris).
One reason that I am having it refinished, is to see what kind of work my smith can do in this area. I have seen his personal M29 that he claims to have refinished and it is outstanding. The other is that I think it looks pretty hideous as it is.
I am currently into this 38/44 for less than $500 and will probably never see my investment back, but who knows? I let the SN help talk me into the purchase as I have a special place in my heart for the # 0311 (Military Occupational Specialty), otherwise, I would have let this one pass me by.
So, to allow for input, lashings, and support, what are your opinions on my decision? What would your choice for stocks be?

I am sorry for only the auction photos. It seems that I have erased or lost the photos that I took before it went into the shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture+_2018-06-13-22-55-23.jpg (21.4 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg Capture+_2018-06-13-22-57-11.jpg (23.4 KB, 205 views)