View Single Post

Old 06-14-2018, 12:13 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 263 Times in 113 Posts

I have a very early Model 63 that I bought when they came out (1977 I think it was). Later, I bought an extra barrel and created a 2-inch barrel on which I (very cleverly if I do say so myself) dovetailed the original front sight and ramp into a dovetail cut from the rear of the remaining rib on the shortened barrel. Not wanting to alter my early specimen, I soon bought another Model 63 and put the 2-inch barrel on the newer gun. It looked factory. But I did not like the square butt ....

When Lew Horton offered a run of factory 2-inch, round-butt Model 63-3 guns, I bought one and sold the altered Model 63 with both barrels. I still have the original early Model 63 and the Hotron Model 63, which I have never fired.

With apologies for thread drift, the introduction of the Model 317 took away the need for a 2-inch Model 63 for me. It took a while for Smith to correct the excessively-heavy main spring by bringing out a Ladysmith version that has a lighter main spring and a "normal" hammer, but that finally removed a big flaw on the Model 317.

I never understood the apparent inconsistency between the original 2-inch Model 317 and the later Ladysmith version. Supposedly, the heavy main spring is necessary to ensure reliable ignition, yet the Ladysmith version has a "normal" mainspring. I assume the bit of extra mass in the "regular" hammer of the Ladysmith must be the difference, which would give the heavier hammer added inertia for stronger primer strikes. The abbreviated hammer on the original Model 317 always seemed odd to me, and received universal scorn from most everyone. It is almost painful to cock the original Model 317 due to the heavy main spring and the sharp checkering on the stub hammer.

I have the early Model 317 (with the beautiful early wood stocks), two Ladysmith Models 317 (which also have the wood stocks) and a 3-inch Model 317-1 Kitgun (with rubber stocks). The slightly-under-10-ounce Model 317 Ladysmith is my ideal Kitgun. When one sees what 2-inch Models 317 bring at auction, one wonders why Smith ever dropped the 2-inch version. The Ladysmith versions, which are rarely offered for sale, bring even more - usually a lot more.

I remain in love with all J-frame Kitguns. The 8-shot ones just give me more to love!
The Following 4 Users Like Post: