View Single Post

Old 06-14-2018, 12:14 AM

Liked 594 Times in 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelslaver View Post
The barrel 15 barrel wouldn't be effected by the 357 rounds being fired down, same material as a 19 barrel just a different stamp, BUT, it has a slightly longer barrel shank because the 19 cylinder is slightly longer (about .05 not counting the recess on a 19 cylinder if was recessed) than the 15 cylinder. The 15 barrel shank could be trimmed and cone recut so the 19 cylinder fit, but the 19 barrel would need to be removed and the shoulder set back 2 turns so it could be long enough to be fitted fit to the shorter 15 cylinder. In other words, its not a good plan. Be better of to switch barrels to. Or just get conversion grips.

How do I know this? I made a model 10 38 (same cylinder as a 14 or 15) into a 357 using a 19 cylinder. I eventually replaced the 4" 38 barrel with a 2 1/2" 19 barrel.
I gotcha, I'd like to see that thing! I was saying just swapping the barrels, and the ejector rod. The model 15 base would have a 19 barrel, but still be a 38 only and the 19 base, with a 15 barrel would still be a 357. No cylinder swapping, just the barrel and I figure since the 19 ejector rod is slightly longer that the rods would have to swap, but otherwise they'd still be the same. It would just LOOK like a SB 19 and a RB 15, but in reality it would be just the barrels swapped.