View Single Post

Old 06-14-2018, 07:16 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thorton View Post
LOL, I hear that, chiselers everywhere you look, it's been that way since mankind crawled out of the slime.

It occurred to me thinking all about this that S&W has done this on purpose to keep the interest in S&W, create some grand illusion that everyone must own a S&W revolver and it's also cheap advertisement.

The Wall-Street hacks who own them know very well what that 'play on words' does and is.

Be careful Sal calling them out on it, you might get banned here.
I am not, in any way, calling out anyone from S&W or the Club or the Foundation. Just putting up a point of conjecture that I take very seriously.

I attest to deceptive or false advertising of selling blue skies to an unsuspecting potential buyer (and novice collector) in awe of owning a nice older S&W. These are the guys that get burnt more often and worse but even the best of us fall for a line of bull or hyper-advertising once in awhile.

The S&W Letter to verify the ship date and configuration it originally shipped is a very valuable asset to both the owner and the serious collectors. This does not mean (by virtue of the letter alone) the gun described is "the" gun shipped from the factory nor what condition it is currently in or what value it may have.

My first experience of buying a "fake" was from a local collector seller of my own club here in Florida. I was young, and had pockets full of money (that's a dangerous combination). it was for $500 for a genuine Colt manufacture 2nd series BlackPowder (late 1970s mfg) revolver that was an Italian copy.

I considered keeping it as yet, another, lesson learned but then after thinking it out, if I allowed him to get over with this, he'd think I was a complete yokel for believing what he ( a tenured Local Club member ) presented as genuine. I confronted him and he started to get defensive but then started to stutter for lack of BS. He agreed (after some banter) to take it back for a full refund.

The next was a pre-war .22 Outdoorsman presented to me as a Masterpiece from yet another tenured local club member, after showing me books and descriptions and attesting it was a Masterpiece. The box was in fact a pre-war Masterpiece box that he coupled to a pre-war Outdoorman. He also, got very defensive and evasive. Good thing I asked for a receipt with description of the S&W with serial number. He, too, refunded the complete purchase price after some hard words were exchanged. He even had other respected Club members plead with me not to expose him for the fraud that he was, as he was dying of cancer. No excuse ! I remained silent. He passed 3 months later. No loss of sentiment there.

Last edited by model3sw; 06-14-2018 at 07:35 AM.