View Single Post

Old 06-14-2018, 09:13 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muss Muggins View Post
I didn't miss it at all. "Letter of Authenticity" is not a term of art, and people are attempting to treat it as such . . .

You're trying to force your definition of the phrase on everyone else, including sellers who don't know you from anything. That's why the law uses the phrase "term of art," so as to standardize these things. You know what the letter is, and if a seller advertises a Smith and Wesson letter, you know what it will and won't show. Arguing with a seller that his/her S&W letter is or isn't a "Letter of Authenticity" by your standard is akin to beating your head against the wall. Seller's gonna say it is, you're gonna say it ain't. And there's the end of it . . .
Again, you missed it.

I'm not force feeding anyone. It is up to the reader to research and consider. It's an open forum and not everyone has to agree with anyone else as long as we continue in a civilized manner.

A letter of Authenticity is not limited to art work, proper (e.g. paintings, prints, sculptures, etc.) even though I think some of the old ones are better than artwork just for the impeccable craftsmanship, fit and function.

Although it is widely used for artwork that is not the sole purpose nor creation of such documentation.

It is not for me to argue with a seller or whomever is selling whatever it is. I'm old enough and learned enough to spot a good one and a "not so good" one.

S&W Historical letters have been the gold standard to affirm original shipping configuration, date, and who it was shipped to ... that's it !

As these progressed a short story was prefaced before the actual shipping data was revealed. Excellent ! Everyone is happy.