View Single Post

Old 06-14-2018, 11:12 AM

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

When I clean the return spring assembly (RSA) on my 2.0's, I rest one end on the table, grip the spring with a towel, pull the spring down as far as I can, and wipe of the exposed part of the guide rod with a CLP covered patch - turn it over, and repeat the process to the other end. I figure I'm able to clean 90 % of the guide rod like that. It's a little hard to pull the spring down, but it enables me to clean the guide rod better than spraying it down and just wiping it off. I really don't think it's necessary, but it's something I do. I've never attempted it on pistols with dual springs on a guide rod. I've wondered if it's bad for the spring, but I figure it compresses that far every time it cycles a round when firing. I can't seei t damaging the spring. But possibly if someone used a pair of pliers or something - even then tho - I would be more worried about damage to a plastic guide rod than a spring - and the 2.0 guide rods are steel. I would have to guess it's a defective spring the OP has encountered, like something wrong with the integrity of the spring's steel. I can't even recall where, but I've read of springs breaking in half before during use, and a gun still working - can't even remember what kind of firearm - pistol or rifle.