View Single Post

Old 06-14-2018, 12:55 PM

Liked 19,851 Times in 8,772 Posts

18DAI and I have been down this road together before.......

As a big fan of the 3913/14/NLs I was excited when the CS9 was announced .......... looking forward to a sub-compact version of my favorite concealed carry gun since 1990.

When I finally saw/held one I was 'underwhelmed" to say the least......

As the owner of more than a few of the uncommon 7 round 39xx magazines with the flat steel bottom.....(which I'd been using for years as my primary carry magazine) the CS9 was as tall as my 3913NL with the 7 round magazine. With an 8round flat bottom spare mag.

The only grips available for years were the stock Hogue rubber...... while feeling good in my hand ...... I knew the rubber would tend to cling to my cover garment....... my 3913 wore checkered Hogue wood grips which were hand filling without clinging to my shirt/jacket.

While the barrel/slide were 1/2" shorter than my 3913's the slide is 'blocky" and IMO ugly compared to the 3913s. Further I carried mine IWB in Milt Spark's holster so the shorter barrel/slide had no practical effect. Also the slightly longer slide of the 39xx guns helps stabilizes it IWB.

Pocket carry in my Wrangler jeans has never been a practical carry option.

Weight difference was only about 1-2oz. IIRC.

All that said if I was starting from scratch; with today's options for grips and mag bases........ I would be tempted to go with the CS9 vs. the 3913/14/NL. Especially given that my first 3913 replaced my .380 PPK; and the CS9 would be closer in overall size to the PPK.

But with a primary 3913NL a backup..... and a backup to the backup..... along with a couple of 3914s........

For me like the 4516 (which was way too heavy ) the CS9 is a great gun ....... but doesn't quit meet my personal needs for a small single stack concealed carry 9mm .

If we all liked the same thing; we'd all be carrying the same gun!!!!!

Last edited by BAM-BAM; 06-14-2018 at 02:25 PM.
The Following 12 Users Like Post: