Thread: CZ 75 pre B
View Single Post

Old 06-14-2018, 02:56 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Sear View Post
I bought this South African-made Ross holster for it in Vienna, Austria. The U.S. and much of the rest of the world was foolishly boycotting goods from South Africa. That boycott, of course, only made things worse for the people there, but I digress...

Although the ban on trade with South Africa was lifted in the mid-1990's, I don't think Ross holsters have ever been sold here. The only other American I think has one is a guy who wrote an article for, Playboy on what it was like to open carry a gun. For some reason, I think he mentioned using a Ross holster or had a picture. I wrote to the magazine to ask about that holster, but never got a reply.

BTW, have you seen the current Miss Universe, formerly Miss South Africa, Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters? YouTube has many interviews with her and with Candice Swanepoel, a VS model from that country. Both women are beautiful, smart,and articulate. Being of Dutch (Afrikaans) descent, their first language isn't English, but they're fully bi-lingual.

I saw Musgrave rifles at the SHOT show one year, but the then-embargo prevented their importation. I think they were seeking some sort of exemption, but it fell through. The rifles looked very good, on Mauser type actions.

South African wines have been available here for some time, and I sold an article on them to the food section of, The Dallas Morning News. Most here are surprised to learn that SA makes wine and has a big wine festival in the Cape, much as one sees in the Napa Valley in CA. But wine has been made there since the 1650's, Gov. Simon van der Stel growing a remarkable variety named after his estate, Constantia. It was quite famous, Napoleon asking for a glass of it just before his death. Alas, a plant louse destroyed the vines in the 1880's, and present Constantia wines are different. Most of the famous varietals like Cabernet sauvignon and Riesling are grown there, as well as the unique Pinotage. That's a cross between Pinot noir and Hermitage.

Last edited by Texas Star; 06-14-2018 at 03:11 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: