View Single Post

Old 06-15-2018, 01:23 PM

Liked 594 Times in 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
From the referenced article....

"The subject was a grossly obese man with a death wish and a .357 magnum, who opened fire on the officer. In the moments that followed, Martin went through two magazines with his department issue Smith & Wesson model 59 service pistol, firing 29 shots and striking the subject 15 times in the torso and twice in the head. It was the last bullet to the head that put the gunman down as Martin's slide locked back for the second time. He reloaded his final magazine and cautiously approached to find the gunman dead. "

That incident was involving a police officer whose job it is to intentially engage and pursue. I would agree, high capacity autoloaders make the most sense for Law Enforcement as well as many home defense(why I own several Glocks) and business defense scenarios, but my likely needs when carrying concealed are very different. There have been civilian incidents involving high round counts, but nearly all of them are HD or an individual protecting a high-risk business like the Lance Thomas incidents or liquor and convenient stores. I don't nor would I work in such places. I also wouldn't intervene in situations that don't concern me directly. And pointing to rare outliers to justify a choice isn't sensible.

At the range, most people will probably perform better(shooting and reloading) with a compact auto compared with a snub revolver, but what most people do at the range has very little in common with most self-defense scenarios, which are reactive, at very close-quarters to contact distance and involve very few shots fired with the odds of needing(or having the opportunity) to reload being equivelant to being struck by lightning. I see no need to concern myself with lightning stikes all too much either since I don't intentionally put myself at undue risk for it just as I don't when it comes to personal defense i.e. the rules of stupids; don't go to stupid places with stupid people at stupid times and do stupid things.

In terms of the armed civilian being forced(as opposed to intentionally engaging/intervening), I'm just not finding any appreciable amount of incidents where the capacity of a revolver is inadequate nor is anyone producing them. Out of the thousands of incidents reported in statistics, videos or news reports I've studied, the percentage where the capacity of a revolver is an issue is a small fraction of 1%. The vast majority of civilian cases took place at very close range. The long-range gunfight against multiple armed assailants seems to be a common fantasy of many gun owners that carry concealed, but it simply isn't reality. Violence against civilians in general occurs at extremely close distances-with fists, knives, clubs and even with guns. Most people don't carry a gun on a daily basis, so we have a relatively limited pool of incidents to learn from, so maybe also consider the types of violence as a whole and how a gun would figure into the equation had the defender been armed. The possibility is there for needing high capacity, but the need for a weapon that is quick into action and will be reliable in all circumstances is much greater.

Consider the following incident, which I don't think is at all an improbable scenario in most circumstances. Which would you rather have in that situation; an enclosed hammer snub revolver or a Glock 19/17? I would choose the snub every time. The snubby will be quicker to access, get into the fight, offer better weapon retention(they will most likely either run or try to disarm you), and the snub will run reliably in that environment. I'm not confident any auto would and I've done a lot of H2H and ECQ training over the years that most haven't. What's better...5 rounds from a gun that you retain or one or none from a gun that you lose?

The disturbing assault in Missouri outside Springfield bar on Aug 22, 2014. - YouTube

What if it's just one assailant? While this particular video is a law enforcement incident, I think it is still illustrative of the dynamics as physical assaults obviously routinely happen to civilians as well, whereas running gun battles do not.The auto malfunctioned just as we see time and again in force-on-force training.

Cop with a gun VS heavy weight - YouTube
That was all very very well written. In short, I can't agree with you more. The chances of having to fend off several assailants all armed with guns at long ranges is pretty slim. Usually, and probably most often, it's gonna be one, maybe two people in your face trying to rob you. The call for me to need 21 rounds is pretty slim. Yes it's possible, but like you said, it's possible I could get hit by lightning but it never even crosses my mind. I could win the lottery, but I don't hold my breath. I even feel confident with my 38 special Derringer as opposed to not having anything at all. A lot of times, if someone is trying to rob you and they don't have a gun, and you pull a gun, they will most likely flee or POSSIBLY try to disarm you, but most likely they'd book it. My snub 5 shot makes me feel perfectly protected. I also don't go to stupid places with stupid people and so on (at least not these days) so no worries there.

Another thing I have never seen addressed anywhere on forums, YouTube and so on, is that if you round a corner and someone has a gun already pulled pointing at your stomach, or if someone is intending on robbing you and you don't see it coming and they pull first and have a gun pointed at you, I can't speak for others, but I'm certainly not going to grab my gun because they already got the drop on me. If I reach for my wasteband instead of my pockets, if they have every intention of shooting, they will shoot me before I can get my gun drawn and pointing at them. In that case, it doesn't matter if your gun hold 1 round or 1,000 it's completely useless to you at least until the turn around or put their gun away or something of that sort. I know I would never grab my gun if someone 5 ft away already had one pointing at me. At that point I'd give up my empty wallet (as it's always empty) and the few bucks I had on me, because I never carry much money anyways. I'm not going to invite a bullet into my belly for no apparent reason. Now maybe they're gonna shoot you anyways, but if you go for your gun, they WILL shoot you for sure (if of course they are actually willing to shoot to begin with). Some people may rob others and use a gun, but have no intention of actually shooting you, but I'm not going to find out which category they fall under while that gun is still pointing at me.