View Single Post

Old 06-15-2018, 06:51 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 38,387 Times in 11,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachogrande View Post
If the trapper is the single bladed folder I'm thinking of. It had an easy to sharpen (as all the OT's did) blade and a nice pocket fitting shape & wt. Where they all went to??? Light fingered friends/siblings??? I couldn't possibly have lost that many, OR COULD I?
They made a single-blade trapper with a brass liner lock, as I recall, but much more common was the classic trapper design, with one clip point blade and one equally long spey blade. That one was 3 7/8" closed, and I always thought it felt better in my hand than any other pocketknife I owned.

Chief38, Marbles' decline began soon after the main man, Mike Stewart, left (not under happy circumstances,on his part). Mike now makes very good fixed-blade knives under his own brand, Bark River Knife & Tool.

I looked at a Smoky Mountain Knife Works catalog recently and was sickened to see cheap-looking imported knives with the Marbles tang stamp selling for nothing. The list included a "Survival Bowie" for $12.99, hideous orange-coated and weirdly-shaped machetes for fifteen bucks, and on and on.

I remember when Marbles knives and their safety ax were the kind that serious outdoorsmen sought when they wanted the best. This junk is just heartbreaking.

I'm sure you'll treasure your beautiful example of what they used to do.

Last edited by shouldazagged; 06-17-2018 at 12:02 AM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: