View Single Post

Old 06-15-2018, 11:39 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,771 Times in 723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W Fan View Post
Could it be an "RB"? I bought a 27-2 with that mark and it signified a blue refinish at the factory. I lettered the gun (shipped October of 1970) and it was sent back just a few months (January 1971) after to be reblued, no idea why. The guy I got it from didn't know either.

Here's what that stamp looks like:
I had a 27 3 1/2" like that. Had the re-bluing rectangle. I bought it from the original owner (barely fired wife's gun) when called the owner about it, said he never sent it back for any work. I got it lettered and it was shipped just a couple months before the re-blued date stamp.

The original owner said he special ordered it thru his local gun dealer with two sets of grips and a RR/WO sights. One set was regular target grips and the other a beautiful set of Rosewood Magna's. They both were with the gun when I bought it.

Jinks letter said it was a shipment of five 27-2 3 1/2" guns to a wholesaler near the gun dealers town.

What I "think" may have happen was the wholesaler sent one of his five back for the grips and sights instead of ordering another one. The two sight pins were ground flush like they were back then (S serial#) hence the need for the re-blue.