View Single Post

Old 06-17-2018, 02:53 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.b View Post
Guys, I'm pretty sure that this is one of the old, US made ones, I just snapped this picture...this is my most used blade, and it holds an edge very well...

The knife was given to me years ago by a family friend whose husband had passed away. She wanted me to have it as a keepsake. I have a couple others that she gave me as well, but the size and shape, and looks of this one just please me. And I have a bunch of others to pick from, including automatics (Benchmade and others), and case, ka-bar, boker, etc. I'll try to post some others later.

Here you go:

Best Regards, Les

Les-

That model was among the first advertised by Schrade as having Razor Blade Stainless steel blades.
It was carried by both Ken Warner and B.R. Hughes, famous knife writers. They could have probably carried any pocket knife they wanted, many being free or at deep discount to them.

I think that's also the model in Schrade's ads at, Playboy. I think they were the only knife manufacturer to advertise in that big, slick magazine. Playboy's circulation was then much greater, and I think an ad cost a lot. They wanted a model that would appeal to the educated urban buyer, not to Farmer Joe. That was the knife they chose.

I'd know the model number if I saw it. Check the blade tangs. The model may be marked on them.
The long Turkish Clip blade isn't typical of stockman patterns, but gets into tight places well. My father-in-law used his to fillet small panfish, like crappie and sand bass.

The Staglon handles were a form of DuPont Delrin, and look more like real stag than any other fakes I've seen. I have a King Ranch stockman and a small stockman with those handles.

Last edited by Texas Star; 06-17-2018 at 03:10 AM.
The Following 10 Users Like Post: